Dermaplaning, also known as Epidermal Levelling and Epi-blading is a safe, gentle and highly effective clinical skin treatment designed to evenly and deeply exfoliate the surface dead and damaged skin build up.
The treatment is a good alternative for clients with sensitive skin who are not suitable for Microdermabrasion. There is no downtime associated with the treatment. The treatment can be used as a standalone treatment or in conjunction with a chemical peel for better penetration of product. Any fine hair removed during the treatment will not be stimulated or grow course. For best results we recommend a course of 4-8 treatments with 3-4 week intervals, although results will be seen with each and every treatment.
How does Dermaplaning work?
This non-invasive technique uses a specially designed scalpel blade to safely scrape the dead skin from your face. It tends to remove slightly more skin than Microdermabrasion. Dermaplaning not only removes dead skin cells, but it also eliminates fine facial hair (peach fuzz) and stimulates new cell growth. It is an excellent preparation for peels and can also be standalone treatment.
What is the importance of Dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is an integral part of all skincare routines as it provides the following benefits:
- Removal of dead cell build up
- Minimises congestion and pore blockage
- Increases the rate of new cell turnover in the deeper levels of the skin
- Stimulates the production of the skin’s own collagen and elastin
- Increases absorption of active skin products (e.g Vitamins A, C etc)
What areas can be treated?
Dermaplaning can be done on the face, forearms and back. Dermaplaning performed on the back helps reduce the bacterial colony existing around the follicles contributing to back acne.
What does the treatment involve?
The skin is cleansed thoroughly and then degreased to ensure there is no residual oil remaining on the skin. The therapist stretches the skin of the face and the blade is held at a 45′ angle to scrape skin cells from the surface. The whole treatment takes 45-60 minutes. Sometimes this treatment is immediately followed by a light chemical peel or facial mask.
What type of skin conditions are best suited for Dermaplaning?
- Sun damaged, blotchy skin
- Fine lines
- Acne (grade 1 & 2) and congested skin
- Thickened (hyperkeratinised) skin
- Diffuse redness and Rosacea (due to stimulated of collagen and dermal thickening)
- Dermaplaning helps to prevent ingrown hairs and shaving rash in men
What are the additional benefits of Dermaplaning?
- Enhances activity and penetration of active home maintenance products for 4-6 weeks
- Removes fine vellus hair (does NOT grow back thicker)
- Removes superficial Solar Keratoses
- The risk of scarring is significantly less with Epidermal Levelling than with laser treatments
- Enhances results of Cosmedix Purity, Benefit and Timeless peels (10 days prior)
- Ideal same day prep for Wodonga Skin Centre facials using pure enzymes, pomegranate and custom masks.
Who is NOT suited for Dermaplaning?
- Persons with any form of skin inflammation or trauma (e.g pustular acne, cold sores and sunburns)
- Person’s with dark skin tone
- Person’s with keloid scars
Because no chemicals are involved, Dermaplaning is suitable for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
What are the risks?
When a sharp blade is used, a slight risk of a nick or cut is always present, but this is rare. Slight skin irritation may result in temporary redness.
What will the results be like?
- Epidermal Levelling will leave the skin tone more evenly balanced
- The skin will feel smooth and energised
- Lines and wrinkles will appear much less noticeable
- Scars left from previous acne flare-ups may also be diminished
- The redness associated with Rosacea is sometimes lightened
- Epidermal Levelling may also undo some of the damage caused by sun exposure
Allow 45-75 minutes
$129 per treatment
This is a unique deep exfoliating treatment for removal of dead skin and soft facial hair. Perfect for that special occasion or as a maintenance treatment for glowing, bright and healthy skin.
Frequently asked questions
Approximately 45-75 minutes
No. This treatment can be carried out in a lunch hour allowing you to get straight back to the day’s activities, with no downtime at all. Painless and time effective.
Number of treatments depends on skin’s condition and the results you want to achieve. We recommend having this treatment at 3-6 week intervals to maintain skin clarity and vellus hair.
Yes. The best feature of Dermaplaning is that it actually enhances the results of other skin treatments such as skin peels and anti-wrinkle injections.
- Skin may appear slightly pink, however, subsides quite quickly
- You may experience a temporary increase in skin sensitivity
- Increased Photosensitivity – avoid direct sun exposure 7 days post treatment
- Must wear SPF 30+ at all times when outdoors
- Avoid active ingredients such as Vitamin A (retinol) and exfoliants for 3 days after treatment